Let me preface this post by saying that I have wanted a working serger really, really
badly for half a decade now.
While I've temporarily hijacked 3 different sergers (one white, one janome, one singer) to experiment with, I've never lived close enough to someone that I can be like "oh can I come over and use it for a bit?" or anything, either. the closest person with a serger lives hours away. So I've pretty much just had to do without and make my intrepid way through the land of seam finishing as best as I could without it, via seam binding, 2 thread overlock, zigzag stitch, whatever.
In mid-december I finally found a job that pays decently and also has steady fulltime hours. so, long story short...it was finally serger time!
Back at my old job I'd cut fabric for a CCAD student (one that did know happen to know some sewing; it can be kind of hit or miss with their fashion design students...) who recommended a brother 1034D, and I'd looked it up on amazon and patternreview to find that even people brand new to serging generally were having a grand old time with it. Any serger that doesn't confound most of its novice userbase sounded like a good bet, and it was only $200, so I figured I'd give it a go since the only other machine in that range is the $200 singer that everyone and their mom has which I'm personally not all that fond of (tension is hard to balance, it's a singer, etc).
unfortunately, the post office was dealing with the Great American Blizzard of 2010 at the time of shipping, so in their distress they seem to have thrown it around a bit...
After wading through kneedeep snow (carrying the serger box on my head, oho!) to tote it from the apartment rental office where they had deposited it, I opened it up, set it on my table, plugged it in, stepped on the pedal and........nothing!
D: the machine's motor went WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR but the machine's needle and gears weren't moving. I checked it over to see if there was some sort of tab to pull out to activate it, looked through the manual, but couldn't find anything in the troubleshooting or setup to indicate that this was a normal out of box function.
the fact that the motor seemed to be working seemed promising, so I decided to take it apart and see if I could fix it!( so now you get Cassandra's guide to repairing your Brother 1034D serger when the post office plays tennis with your sewing machine while it is en route to you....Collapse )
All in all, a pretty simple fix. :) If it had been something electrical or an alignment issue I doubt I'd have been able to repair it, but as it is I'm glad I took the initiative to take a peek inside it. I bet I'd have been charged half of what the serger is worth if I'd taken it to a sewing machine repair shop. :/